Ironworkers Local 9 History
Niagara Falls Local 9 was established
on March 18, 1902 Notwithstanding the fact that our Niagara region was
mostly known for its spectacular natural wonder, by 1902, intelligent
men and women were gradually coming to understand that here were to be
found engineering works and manufacturing industries unrivaled anywhere
in the world. An age of great prosperity had arrived.
Because of the large amount of hydroelectric energy
available, electro-chemical industries were becoming predominant, and
Niagara Falls was rapidly becoming the electrochemical capital of the
world. The ever-growing list of unusual products called for a variety of
processes necessitating the employment of many types of workers,
including laborers, semi-skilled workers, foremen, assistant foremen,
process workers, electricians, chemists and technical workers.
workforce's in local industries were constantly being increased in
numbers by the arrival of immigrants from all over the world. Because of
their constant association with the fundamental or key industries which
produced materials of essential importance to manufacturers throughout
the world, all residents of the Niagara region had a broad view of the
world and its needs.
As we enter
this new century, we look back with pride on the accomplishments of the
past and anticipate the challenges of tomorrow. Our members are better
trained and better equipped than ever before to compete in the
twenty-first century economy. Our industry is safer, with the
expectation that our members will enjoy productive careers and healthy
and secure retirements.
seems poised to become a major transportation hub and the tourism and
hospitality industry is on the verge of a new era. What won't change is
the brotherhood and camaraderie of Ironworkers accomplishing great
things through teamwork and perseverance. As always, the tough jobs are
routine. The impossible takes a little longer.